Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Oscar Buzz

So there are several films that have been getting a lot of Oscar buzz. I haven't seen them so I couldn't tell you if the buzz is sincere or just unfounded. Here are a few of the noteworthy contenders.

Million Dollar Baby: Clint Eastwood directs and stars in this dramatic piece about a boxing coach (Eastwood) who coaches a young talented female boxer (Hillary Swank). During the course of the film several life lessons are learned. I wasn't that fond of Eastwood's previous film, Mystic River, although Sean Penn did win the Oscar last year. Perhaps Eastwood has another hit on his hands this year.

Sideways: This small film recently appeared and has garnered some great praise. It features Paul Giamatti, who is becoming a terrific actor by choosing to do small meaningful films. I look forward to seeing this one soon.

The Aviator: About a week ago I wouldn't have mentioned this film as being an Oscar contender. Yet at the Golden Globes, this film attained much respect by winning Best Picture (Drama) and Best Actor (Drama) for Leanardo DiCaprio. Two heavyweight awards for this film, has to be taken into consideration for Oscar night.

There are of course other films that will be receive various other nominations, but I don't think we will see any film that will sweep the Oscars. This past year did see several big-budget movies, like Troy and Alexander. However, their box-office doldrums may prevent them from Oscar night glory.

I look forward to hearing the nominations, which I believe will be announced January 25th.

RB

No comments: